Recycling - Jenny Hamon

We’re trying to recycle everything we can.
We load it up regularly and take it in the van,
To the recycling depot just down the road,
Where we deposit all the items we have in our load.

The bottle bins are noisy, but it’s something we must do.
I hope no one is counting how many bottles we’ve got through,
Although I must admit, it has been quite a while
Since I visited the recycling, she says with a wry smile.

Now I’m by the paper bin, it’s getting rather full.
I poke and prod the paper, then I push and then I pull.
Oh look, there are some magazines I don’t think I have read.
I think I’ll take them home with me and look at them in bed.

What’s this, is it the latest dance? I really must try that.
Oh, they’re stamping on the boxes to make sure they are flat
Before posting through the jaws of the hungry cardboard bin,
And going away happy they avoided a mortal sin.

We promise we will try to recycle more and more
So it becomes more of a habit and no longer a chore
To make this world a greener place for our kith and kin.
And the moral of this story, don’t just put it in your bin.

Jenny Hamon

Blog Archive