The Bells' Lament - Drew H.W.

Above the silver dusted land,
The church bells rang with joyous love
Through winter’s frosted air they sang,
To reach the hearts of man.
Such peace they filled my heart so true
And with their sound came you.

Beside the boughs of sparkled light,
Sweet words of love did pour
Your heart, a garland, golden bright,
Adorned my own forever more,
Bejewelled my life that night.

Time for us did seem to cease
“Eternal Peace!”, chimed on the bells.

~~~

Beneath the stars of time now spent,
The bells a New Year gaily brought
With hopes sublime and endless rue,
Folk pledged their lives anew.
Like midnight song resounded loud
Our wedded bliss you vowed.

Amidst the merriment you kept
Your place before me knelt,
Confetti tears of joy I wept
The snows of winter thus did melt,
Your heart I did accept.

Let love for us, not ever cease
“Eternal Peace!”, the bells did plead.

~~~

Within the garden new with life,
The bluebells on the breeze did dance
Springtime dew had blessed each one
With jewels that twinkled in the sun.
The fairy chimes of dawn did play
And we were blessed that day.

For in my arms, our precious gift,
As if from heaven sent
Rosebud lips and silken wisps
Her newborn clasp, my heart I lent
Let not her fingers lift!

Our love for her shall never cease
“Eternal Peace”, rang sweet the bells.

~~~

Above the freezing shrouds of ice,
The church bells tolled in sombre march.
On blackened clouds they kept their hold
And thus their sad news told.
Such sorrow as my heart did weep
Each beat, a nail deep.

Within the realms of no reprieve
Not ever one more breath.
Oh my love, why did you leave!
Your heart, forever held by death,
Your love, left here for me to grieve?

Your time with us, did cruelly cease
“Eternal Peace” cried out the bells.

Drew H.W.

Blog Archive