Overtime - Lyndon Queripel

Time goes past all too fast these days
The tick tock of the clock on the wall
Now I face another race once more
From A to B then on to C and back
I won’t get far as my car won’t start
I’m in such a state, I’ll be late again

Alone in my bed in the dead of night
My insomnia’s worse, it’s a curse you know
I can’t sleep, counting sheep is no help
Come the morning I’m yawning like mad
My job is dreary, I’m so weary and tired
It’s a surprise that my eyes stay open

I look at a book I haven’t yet read
But I must at least dust the cover
I tell myself that the shelf is loose
When I get a minute I will fix it then
And the lock that’s stuck on my cupboard
Inside is a bin of tin to recycle

There’s also a letter that I’d better write
I just hope I’ve an envelope and stamp
Where the heck is that cheque to enclose
I tried to sign it when the ink in my pen ran out
Tell me please where my keys have gone
I don’t understand they were in my hand just now

I fear that this year hasn’t begun well
I broke another spoke on my old bike
Now I feel the front wheel has a wobble
Who controls all the potholes in the road?
You can guess I’m under stress my friend
With the strain and all the pain in my back

I must stop at the shop for some more milk
The traffic lights ahead are on red not green
You can bet when I get there it’s closed
Don’t say that today is the 9th already
What a twist, I’ve missed the dentist now
In the end he will send me a bill anyway

Yes, I have got such a lot on my plate
It’s a sin I didn’t win the last lottery
And forget all the debt that I owe
With no thanks to the bank’s interest
They barred my credit card yesterday
And what’s worse I lost my purse in town

It seems all of my dreams were in vain
And I find that my mind is now losing
I can’t cope for my rope has reached the end
None the less all this madness has to stop
Before I fall flat – don’t say that is the time
Oh dear, I shouldn’t be here, I must be going.

Lyndon Queripel

Blog Archive