Fishing Memories - Karen Allaway

Happy memories of fishing trips at St Sampson's harbour and the Castle Emplacement with my family as a small child was my inspiration for writing this poem. - Karen.

Fishing Memories - Karen Allaway

Looking into a bucket of sand
Rag and lug squirming under my hand.
Worms collected that very afternoon,
So we could go fishing under the moon.
A worm is carefully threaded on my hook
And then.......
I cast out as far as I can.

I can see my float dancing up and down.
Under the moonlight, I dance round and round.
I’ve caught a fish, I’ve caught a fish
I nice big bass my dearest wish.
I frantically wind back the reel and........
Nothing!!
Just a remnant of worm left on my hook.
Maybe I’ll just go and take a look........

........over here.

The cranes are not working now finished for the day
So I step in the bucket and begin my play.
I’m sitting on a ferris wheel that’s going round and round
Or maybe on a train and I make the sound
Clickety clack, “tickets please”,
Doesn’t the moon look like a big piece of cheese.
Hmm, I wonder what we’ll catch today?

I hear mummy calling, I run over and look
To see what my brother has got on his hook.
The family’s been busy while I’ve been away
Some mackerel, a rockfish we pack up for the day.
So home we all go to eat for our tea
The fish we have caught...
With new potatoes and fried tomatoes YUM!

Karen Allaway

Blog Archive