Conquerers - Joan Etoile



In the game of colonial bingo
It helps to learn the lingo
And back in the Napoleonic days
I brushed up on my Norman francaise

I was ready to jump through hoops
For Emperor Boney’s troops
They never came, though later in their place
There arrived a different master race

Jawohl! zu befehl! of course mein Kommandant!
Ich lerne deutsch to know exactly what you want
Mercifully they left and after those grim days
I perfected Cockney, Strine and Guernseyaise (sic)

I believe my language skills are assez bien
Enough to fool any dictator’s men
I must now prepare for a new wind blowing in
Yes, it’s time to perfect my rusty Mandarin

It’s not easy though, the letters are strange
Right to left little boxes swarming on the page
So I’m thinking that I’ll soon be out of luck
When I offer our next masters a slice of Peking Duck

Joan Etoile

Image : Joan Etoile/Pixabay glaborde7

Blog Archive