Johnny, Dear Johnny - Ian Duquemin

Johnny, dear Johnny, since you sailed away
Now a year, seven months and a day
But your ship it has not yet returned
Though my heart it has hungered and yearned

Oh Johnny, dear Johnny, my only true love
Do you see me in stars high above?
How I've prayed on those nights all alone
For the wind to have blown you back home

Johnny, dear Johnny, I've cried every day
From the moment you drifted away
You remained with me here in my heart
Though the tides they have kept us apart

Oh Johnny, dear Johnny, the sea is so deep
Like the promise you swore you would keep
On this shore I'll be waiting for you
For your sails to come into view

Johnny, dear Johnny, did you die in the waves?
Did your crew meet their watery graves?
As the sea seems to whisper goodbyes
Bringing sadness and tears to my eyes

Oh Johnny, dear Johnny, please come back to me
Be the husband you promised to be
Don't leave me alone for another day more
And honour that promise you swore

Ian Duquemin

Blog Archive