The Alien - Tony Gardner

I was weeding in the garden, on a sunny April day
When my fork hit something metal, hiding in the clay
In the garden nothing stays if it will not sprout or grow
Therefore into the rubbish bin it was just about to go.
But then I felt the warming up so gently in my hand,
Soft throbbing and a humming which I couldn't understand.
I looked at the ball of metal nestling right there in my palm
Wond'ring What it was and could it cause me any Harm
As I watched it slowly opened up just like a flower bud
A little man stepped out of it, just like a little God
He shook and seemed to swell 'til he was full four inches tall
He said "Now don't you worry, 'cause I won't hurt you at all"
He said "I've come so many miles, from far away in space
I'm on a peaceful mission for I've come to save your race"
He told me then such wisdom, disclosed the Key to Earthly Peace
And oh, such wond'rous tales that I would never wish him cease
Just then a greedy Magpie who'd been foraging behind
Swept down and gobbled up the Hope of all mankind

Tony Gardner

Blog Archive