I'm indebted to Mother - Tony Bradley

Mother would send around to the neighbours
with a note, asking to lend five quid
I remember slammed doors, and angry faces
no, I don't think anyone ever did.

I remember my shame at junior school
I'd lie awake at night, dreading tomorrow
kids would say things about me and my family
making fun, because we had to borrow.

My Dad was in the Navy, earning good money
but she was pitifully extravagant, such a shame
her family had been rich, but her Father died suddenly
and she wanted to return to the good life, again

She couldn't budget, would never prioritise
we never had corned beef, it had to be gammon
and I was the only kid at school
eating sandwiches filled with bacon, and salmon.

Now, because of poor Mother, I've learnt to be frugal
sometimes doing without, to put a bit aside
so that, when the Tollman comes for his money
we don't all have to run and hide.

Tony Bradley

Blog Archive