Painted Smile - Ian Duquemin

I looked into her deep pool eyes, she stared back into mine
A chill then raged upon my back and shivers froze my spine
I heard the words she said aloud, believed them to be true
They unlocked free the beast in me to do the things he'd do
I took her tightly by the throat and wound my grieving grip
I noticed blood from biting teeth had dribbled from her lip
I kissed her for the last time and we fell against the door
A moment spent in passion 'til collapsing on the floor
Her eyes lay still and lifeless... Like in negatives of old
I held her in my trembling arms, her flesh now turning cold
It's then I let a cry out... A kind of agonising squeal
A call that some might pity if my pain they came to feel
Then in a moment mortified I stood back on my feet
I pulled a stool beside her and I sat down on the seat
Unsure of what had happened, I calmed myself and thought awhile
I took a lipstick from her purse and painted her a smile
I sat in morbid silence then was woken by a bell
Perhaps it was the demon who would drag me into hell
I covered up my ringing ears...
Dried off my fallen sticky tears...
I wondered how I'd cope inside for many, many years
A bang upon the barricade would shake my bones inside
I looked into the beady eye that lets you see outside
Behind the peeling painted door I spied an ageing priest
His hair as black as asphalt, combed back flat and highly greased
I asked him what he wanted... He held high a silver cross
Said, he had come to pray for me and comfort at my loss
I opened up the door to him and let the preacher in
He gazed at my predicament... Then stepped over my sin
He mumbled through some passages from script I did not know
Then spoke about the hellish place where I was sure to go
I said I'd never leave her, and as I bowed my head and cried
He stabbed me with his crucifix, blood spilled out from my side
My dying breath was awful cold...
My soul had been already sold
I held a hand toward my judge, who looked at me and grinned
He vanished right before me like the freezing winter wind
I looked upon the girl...
Who grinned her ruby painted smile
I tried to say "I loved you" but those words now tasted vile
I guess she had the last laugh as I lay there on the floor
The crooked smile upon her face the last thing that I saw

Ian Duquemin

Blog Archive