Pony & Rider - Jenny Hamon


Image Source - Jenny Hamon

I was inspired to write these poems as I have been a volunteer and Group instructor with our local group for many years.

I have had experience of the wonderful bond between horse and rider and the theraputic value for people with all sorts of disabilities or problems.

The Riding for the Disabled Pony - Jenny Hamon

My eyes are yours for just a while,
My legs, so strong, will walk a mile.
To share my world, my precious friend,
My gift of movement I will lend.

I give to you my body power,
For you to use for just an hour.
To shake off shackles and to see
A whole new world because of me.

Patiently I’ll stand and wait.
I’ll carry you with steady gait.
I’ll keep you safe and carefree here.
In me you have a friend so dear.

In my dreams we’ll gallop free,
Along the beach, beside the sea.
Your wheels are gone, there is no need.
Just you and me, your trusty steed.

Jenny Hamon


The Disabled Rider

I feel your muscles, hear your hooves,
With joy of liberating moves.
You give me time and space to see
Your world that never restricts me.

A glimpse of life that’s free and able,
Instead of living with a label.
Upon your back I am just “me”,
A rider who is young and free.

But do not think that I despair,
While riding on my chestnut mare.
I shake the shackles from my feet,
And for that hour my life’s complete.

A precious gift you leave with me,
You give me life and help me see
There is a world that I can share
Despite me “living” in a chair.

Jenny Hamon

Blog Archive