? - Ian Duquemin

Is there anyone out there
Who might lend me an ear?
I'm a needing some answers...
To questions I fear
Like...
Why is there war?
Why do so many die?
I can't ask the government... as they'd only lie

So I'm hoping you'll help me
And I hope you don't mind!
But I'm losing my faith...
As I'm losing my mind!
I just don't understand
How the other half live...
They may gain my respect if they'd try more to give

I'm a-needing to ask them!
Am I begging too much?
All the answers I'm wanting!
From my questions as such...
They might be unanswered
As the dumb cannot speak
They've stolen my paddle... and I'm right up the creek

I'm a-needing to find out
And I'm gonna scream loud!
My fields may be stony
But they are gonna be ploughed!
And for every seed sown...
Is a question I'll ask
And to harvest that field is one hell of a task

So what about money!
Why is paper so great?
Do you think you deserve it?
When you buy only hate
Do you help out the needy?
Do you help out the poor?
Or do you keep for yourself and accumulate more?

This planet we live on...
We are gonna destroy!
From the mess we are making...
And the bombs we deploy
Do you think of the children...
When you're lying in bed?
Do you dream of the gun that you aim at their head?

Now I know you won't like this
But I need to know why!
Why the rich they get richer...
And the hungry they die
Is it too much to ask?
Just to give a bit more!
Or will you close up your eyes and just simply ignore?

All you leaders and rich men
In your ironed silk ties
Will you open your wallets...
Will you open your eyes?
And just answer my questions...
Try to hear what I say!
Because many like me... we just won't go away!

And I will make you hear me!
And I will make you see!
That it's not all about you...
It's not even of me...
It's the fact that you can do...
What so many cannot!
So do what you can with the gift that you've got

And I'm sure you will find out
That the good that you do
All the happiness given...
Will then come back to you
Those wars may continue!
As a man needs to fight
But at least you can say that you fought to put right!

Ian Duquemin

Blog Archive