The Last Hours of Edith Cavell - Joan Willard

Edith Louisa Cavell was a British nurse who helped save the lives of both Allied and German soldiers during the Great War. Famously she helped around 200 Allied soldiers escape from German-occupied Belgium. This action resulted in her arrest and court martial for treason. She was executed by German firing squad on 12 October 1915.

"Patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." Edith Cavell

The Last Hours of Edith Cavell - Joan Willard

I have only a short time left.
Tomorrow morning my life will end.
At least I know how I shall die,
no long drawn-out painful illness,
no heart attack, senile dementia.
My end will be quick,
a hail of bullets
at 2 a.m.
2 a.m., 12th October 1915.
I am not afraid,
I have seen death so often,
it is not strange
or fearful to me.

I have written my farewell letters,
the one to my mother
the most difficult –
she is losing a child.

The Anglican priest visited me.
I told him what I would miss –
nursing the sick,
helping allied soldiers to escape,
the old vicarage,
two beautiful dogs,
Norfolk, where the sun never sets
over the sea.

To my dear family
I say a fond goodbye.
Please don’t weep for me,
my life has been wonderful.

I am ready to go.

Joan Willard

Blog Archive