My Little Bird - Diane Scantlebury

I thought my little bird had gone
To discover the world
And a life of her own,
But she returned
‘Cause she thought she knew best,
And brought chaos and havoc
Back to my nest,

For like her
I had grown,
My circumstances had changed
I had moved on,
New activities had filled
My empty nest days,
But she’d brought back
Her bad old ways,

I’d forgotten that only herself
She could see,
And how everything was
Just ‘me’, ‘me’, ‘me’!
How in her heart
She was still only a child,
And I was mum
And had to put up and smile,

Being a mother
There’s no rest,
When times are hard
They’ll fledge back to the nest,
Expecting you to welcome them
Come what may,
And be the same as before
They’d gone away,

I thought my little bird had flown,
But she’s back to disrupt
My happy, quiet home.

Diane Scantlebury

Blog Archive