In Pursuit Of Freedom - Rosemary Slimm

I’m now in pursuit of freedom
Above most other things.
All those years of toil and slog
Now no alarm clock rings!

At school I was a good girl
Would pass my spelling test
Told “behave yourself, “don’t answer back” and
“Always do your best”.

No freedom during college years
Work on – forever higher
‘O’ levels first, then ‘A’ levels next
Keep going, still aspire.

Higher education then
With fun and studies mixed.
Three years later – that was it –
Real world, real job – all fixed.

And so the years have rolled on by
Wage slave my constant role.
Disillusion sometimes there
But some rewards for toil.

In personal life its been the same
Trial, error – some success.
Ups and downs – not much romance
Still chores, still work – no less.

Parents age and lose their power
To rule with guilt and fear
And as the years have rolled on by
They sadly disappear.

But now I’m free – well more or less
No-one to give me orders
With liberation now a fact –
Least till I need a warder!

I’ve been in pursuit of freedom
And mainly got it now
Will make each day a worthwhile time
At last - retired - wow!

Rosemary Slimm

Blog Archive