The First Year - Diane Scantlebury

I wrote this poem in honour of my mum who died almost a year ago. We repatriated her ashes to be buried with my dad in Barbados.

Diane

The First Year - Diane Scantlebury

The first year is the hardest
So they all say,
The first year is the longest
When the pain won’t go away,
Thoughts of you are strongest
At the closing of each day,

It is almost the anniversary
Of the time you passed,
Trying hard not to be sad
But the tears are flowing fast,
My head sinks low towards my chest
Don’t want this sorrow to last,

Just think of all the good times
Let the sun shine into the room,
God help us through this first year
And lift us out of the gloom,
But you’re back in your tropical home
Reunited with the man you loved best,
In a final safe harbour for your troubled soul,
Your beautiful heart can now rest.

Diane Scantlebury

Blog Archive