I Thought I Did What's Right - Aindre Reece-Sheerin

I Thought I Did What's Right
not knowing the reality
not seeing the yellow green
and the Sunlight flickering on the leaves

The colours in your hair
soon though I would learn
you'd be no longer there
how long would I dream

for a dreamer I have been
as I drift from stream to stream
roads and highways pass me by
its almost any hour that I can sit and sigh

I remember distinctly
once being afraid to crush you
were I to hold you too tightly
a vision you were then

but that was when I still believed in romance
wishing desperately there might be a chance
I could come back under any form
but you suggested, that would make it difficult

for you as you had informed all
that we were no more
you asked me to kiss you warmly
while a letter was already on its way

with little more than just to say
stay away, just stay away
like a fool, I agreed and lost it all
no love, no home but worst of all

I did not have the children
nor the spunk to fight for them
worse still to come
they believe daddy abandoned them

now not just love has been lost
but even the basics of care and
respect have all worn away
no-one could ever count this cost

a love once won
a love once adored
once held in the highest esteem
and with every heart beat, even with

leaves yellow and green
like the Autumn
are now but
lost

Aindre Reece-Sheerin

Blog Archive