My Crinoline Lady - 11 11 1992 - Aindre Reece-Sheerin

How fierce the wind this morning blew
Sending my now golden weeping willow askew
The final leaves from friendly neighbours’ trees
Had found their end on grass or paths

But my dear willow just bent down and bowed
And waved her fronds as though in stern revenge
That she who in 1987 was pronounced ‘dead’
As down she lay, the earth her bed

But with the help of neighbours dear
Who came in to find me in despair
My willow weeping and I was too

Wondering how she could be reborn
Yes we did conquer, and by the spring
Out came her tiny buds – golden first
And gradually into that splendid green

She was alive, and what’s more
higher and wider she did spread
my crinoline lady, whom I observe
through my kitchen window serving to give me
the hope I need with which to live

Aindre Reece-Sheerin

Blog Archive